Royal music school Archive

De Stefani, Ricordano, Gran metodo pratico per oboe e corno inglese – RSM 4630/I-III

The musical archive, which is one of the institutive collections of the Musical Section, reflects the activity of the Music school, from its establishment in 1825 by the Duchess Maria Luigia of Austria to 1888, when it was turned into the Royal Music Conservatory.
The intitute, the fourth in Italy chronologically, has been for the whole XIX century a prolific source of musicians who became famous in Italy and abroad, spreading worldwide the celebrity of Parma. The Archive has various works of these musicians - students, directors and teachers -, most of all handwritten, that were a support for the lessons. There are a lot of autographs and publications of valid teachers who gave prestige to the Institute - like Gaetano and Luigi Beccali, Ricordano De Stefani, Giacomo Mori, Raniero Cacciamani, famous teachers of the winds school - , of the directors Ferdinando Simonis, Giuseppe Alinovi, Giovanni Rossi and Giusto Dacci and of students who became very famous, like Arturo Toscanini, of whom are conserved the originals of his first compositions done for the school tests.
The archive was increased also by purchases and private donations, like the original of Francesco Morlacchi's Corradino offered by the count Rossi Scotti from Perugia.
Overall the Collection, among printed books and manuscripts, includes about 4700 works. Together with music have also been accepted the music literature books and the Parma Ducal Orchestra Archive, with registers, letter books, documents and epistolar exchanges of the Orchestra Superintendence from 1816 to 1874.
The institution, connected to the School because the students and the teachers also played in the orchestral complex, had its best season during the ducal period of Maria Luigia, who gave it a strong law arrangement. Therefore in the Royal Music School Archive are also preserved the precious testimonies of the history and evolution of the ducal Orchestra, like the documents attesting the presence in Parma of Niccolò Paganini, who was given by the duchess the resposibility to reorganize the instrumental complex in 1835.